A coach’s role is to bring out the best in others helping them to discover and harness their potential and equip them with tools and strategies to make agility work. Organisational agility needs skilled agile coaches to establish cross-functional teams and agile leadership, and to transform organisational structures and culture. By developing an internal coaching capability (rather than relying on external change agents) you can transform your managers into internal coaches who can help individuals and teams navigate change. As a result, an internal company coaching capability has the potential to continuously drive positive change and unlock organisational agility.
Building your greatest strength
An organisation’s greatest strength is its people. Unfortunately, very few people bring their entire selves to work. A strong organisational coaching program works to strengthen your organisation by strengthening its people, equipping them with the tools necessary to be their best, both at work and in life.
Aligned to strategic business outcomes
An internal coaching capability focuses on organisational goals such as culture change, leadership development, engagement and innovation, and any other goal or challenge affecting the overall business. The coaching team works with people in the business and teams to facilitate change, decisions and activities that are strategically placed to support the organisation’s overall goals.
Ways to achieve this
Some organisations may hire full-time coaches, train existing leaders to be coaches, or design and run a coaching training program in collaboration with an external coaching service like AWA. Our programs retrain and upskill leaders to become internal change agents i.e. coaches, by equipping them with the latest skills and competencies to lead change.
We begin by identifying a group of potential leaders who will participate in the program and eventually lead the transformation. Internal capability is built over time so that the leaders can (un)learn existing mindsets and use their knowledge of the company culture, processes, and key management relationships to help the organisation achieve its goals.
At AWA we offer three coaching programs – team, enterprise and leadership – that operate at various levels within the organisation and are tailored to the various scopes in which coaches are required to drive organisational change. These rigorous programs are practical in nature, involving real-world transformation work that results in rapid “on-the-job” learning, an established coaching culture, and leaders prepared to take over and manage the transformation in the long run.
What are the benefits of an internal coaching capability?
Building your own powerful internal coaching capability will not only drive your business forward but will save your organisation money on external coaches while keeping all the benefits.
- Leadership developed at all levels
- A shared purpose in pursuing organisational goals
- Elevated collective organisational intelligence and effectiveness
- Leaders who understand how to influence strategy and decision-making positively while remaining true to their leadership values and identity
- Improved decision-making
- Cultures with a growth mindset that are perpetually receptive to new possibilities and ways of being
- The capability of resolving fundamental behavioural issues and conflicts
- Fosters cultures of trust, mutual respect, and candour
- Improved communication abilities, particularly when confronted with difficult situations
- Significantly enhances relationships on all levels
- Increased collaboration between team members
- Employees who value self-awareness can be their best selves
- Increased adaptability and agility on the part of leaders in dealing with constant change
- Improved ability to form and maintain trust-inspiring teams
- Improved environments where teams innovate and thrive
- Empowered ownership of the transformation
The hands-on approach to coaching is absolutely vital to driving change. Establishing an internal capability provides your organisation with a powerful edge and significant advantage in sustaining the momentum of change, ensuring continuous feedback, and constantly tweaking strategies so that you can stay ahead of the competition and rocket-proof your business for future disruptions.
Need help building your internal coaching capability? Contact our sister company, Bryter Work today.
Read more articles about business here.
Curious about Agile ways of working? We answer your most frequently asked questions here.
I work at AWA HQ looking after day-to-day operations, speaking with people, organising events and training, and thinking up the next cool thing we can do. Outside of work I’m having fun with my family, usually walking our whippet, Luna or playing games with our daughter, Scarlett.