“Thoroughly engaging. I learned lots and really inspired by Tobias.”
Certified Scrum Master Training (CSM)
Understand the role and responsibilities of the Scrum Master and understand how to foster a collaborative relationship between the teams and the customer to meet the needs of the business on this immersive, hands-on Certified Scrum Master training course with Tobias Mayer in London.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
This two-day Certified Scrum Master training course, is structured around the Scrum values, principles and practices, using a blend of lecture, interactive exercises, and participant dialog. There are no powerpoint slides; the focus is on learning through action, activity, and conversation, allowing the new ideas to take root, and have the potential to grow within each participant’s context. Scrum is not a formula to be memorised, but rather a journey to undertake.
Why Adventures With Agile?
We are proud to host one of the largest communities of Agile practitioners in the UK, supporting them through meetups, training courses and many other resources. We are committed to raising the quality of agile practice in our industry, and enhancing the skills of its practitioners. To this end we have created a CSM course, which doesn’t just give you a first-level Scrum certification, but is a commitment to your entire Agile journey.
It may be more cost-effective to run this course onsite if you have a group of 8 or more people. Speak to the AWA team for more details.
25th – 26th JUNE in LONDON
23rd – 24th JULY in LONDON
9th – 10th AUGUST in LONDON
3rd – 4th SEPTEMBER in SHEFFIELD
10th – 11th SEPTEMBER in LONDON
15th – 16th OCTOBER in LONDON
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Each student is taught to assume the responsibilities of a ScrumMaster.
By the end of the workshop participants will understand the Scrum framework well enough to return to work and take up the role of ScrumMaster, or to apply the principles and practices to any other role in the organisation, e.g. developer, tester, manager, director. More specifically, participants will develop the following skills:
- Facilitate all Scrum ceremonies: refinement, planning, daily scrum, review and retrospective;
- Be able to recognise organisational impediments that break the creative flow of a development team;
- Improve the work of the development team by facilitating creativity and empowerment, and guide the team members to improve their engineering practices so each increment of functionality is potentially shippable;
- Foster a collaborative relationship between the teams and the product owner/customer to meet the needs of the business;
- Work with managers, directors and executives to help them understand how to support the Scrum initiative.
Participants will also have sufficient information to easily pass the CSM test.
- Scrum Framework
- Scrum Values
- Scrum Principles
- When to use Scrum
- ScrumMaster as Facilitator
- Iterative/Incremental Development
- The Sprint
- Scrum Roles
- The Team
- Product Owner
- Scrum Master
- Scrum Ceremonies
- Daily Scrum
- Scrum Artifacts
This CSM workshop is taught according to the Agile Manifesto, the Scrum Guide and the CSM Learning Objectives.Participants are expected to familiarise themselves with all three documents prior to attending the workshop.
In order to live up to the Scrum ideal of completion, and to experience collaboration and fast feedback the CSM test will be done during the workshop, after lunch on day two. Participants will pair to take the test.
WHAT OUR STUDENTS SAY ABOUT THIS COURSE
Tobias is a brilliant trainer who delivers highly engaging training – Karina Marigole – Scrum Master
Tobias is a great educator and facilitator – Ben David – QA Manager
I came skeptical of the usefulness of Scrum but can see that the implementation of this methodology would really help our team – Andy Bush – Head of Development
Tobias is a great teacher. Using immersive exercises helped me understand the course better than previous similar ones. Thumbs up – Vincent Synan – Delivery Manager
“The course was great not only did I learn a lot but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don’t know the set up for other Scrum courses, but the level of engagement and encouragement from the all participants and coach was excellent.” – Isher
AWA have solidified my knowledge of Scrum, and I have gone back to work refreshed with a new confidence. – Austin
Tobias brings the subject to life with outstanding mastery. The practical approach, learning from doing and playing with scrum, deepens the learning and gives you confidence to go out in the world and begin your scrum master journey. – Anna
I enjoyed the course very much. I had been using Agile for around 5 years but still learned a lot from the course. Having passed the exam, I recently won a contract as a Scrum Master.. so well worth it on that front! – Don
“The course exceeded my expectations as I had thought it would have been mainly focused around a dull PowerPoint presentation and taking notes. But I was wrong, the course was very lively and interactive which really helped me understand Scrum (and also pass the test!).” – Hameda
t: +44 203 369 1125
- special rates for self-payers
- learn the scrum values and principles using the scrum framework
- learn with your peers and world-wide respected Certified Scrum trainer, Tobias Mayer
- understand the role and responsibilities of a Scrum Master
- develop the skills required to successfully facilitate the Scrum ceremonies and to foster a collaborative relationship between the teams and business
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The course is suitable for everyone who is about to start using Scrum or has already gathered some experience and wants to deepen their understanding of Scrum. The ScrumMaster role is the focus of the course – however it is suitable for team members or managers who would like an introduction to Scrum.
WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE
- Electronic copy of all course materials;
- Certificate upon passing;
- 2 years Membership to the Scrum Alliance;
- Free access to half-day ScrumMaster Clinics, which will support your journey towards excellence, and if required towards the next level of Scrum Alliance certification;
- For PMI PMPs, this course provides 14 Category B PDUs;
- Membership to the Adventures with Agile community and access to the best agile and lean meetups in London to help you on your agile journey for continuous improvement;
- Tasty lunch, teas, coffees and water throughout the day.
No specific experience is required but please read the Agile Manifesto, the Scrum Guide and the Scrum Alliance CSM learning Objectives before attending the course. If you’d like to read more, The Elements of Scrum is highly recommended.
Important: be sure to bring a laptop or tablet with you on day two in order to register with the Scrum Alliance and take the online CSM test.
SCRUM ALLIANCE CERTIFIED
The exam is included in the cost and is taken on the second day of the course. To be eligible for the Certified Scrum Master certification you must attend both days and get 24/35 or more questions correct.
Everyone who attends our CSM workshops with Tobias Mayer is invited to attend the half-day ScrumMaster Clinics in London for free. These clinics are organised by Tobias and have been designed to support your journey towards excellence, and if required towards the next level of Scrum Alliance certification. Find out when the next one is scheduled here
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Tobias Mayer has been involved in the Scrum world since 2004. He was among the first twenty-five people, worldwide, certified to teach Scrum by Ken Schwaber, its co-founder.
Skilled as a developer, tester and engineering manager, Tobias also has a background in publishing, theatre arts, and community service work. He skilfully blends this unusual mix of experiences when teaching Scrum, creating a lively and engaging experience.
Tobias is a regular contributor and keynote speaker at Agile conferences around the world. He is the author of the highly acclaimed, and somewhat controversial book, The People’s Scrum, blogs regularly on LinkedIn and Medium and is known as the creator and curator of AgileLib.Net, the world’s foremost collection of Agile resources.